Thursday, November 22, 2012

Los Angeles Following in the Footsteps of Detroit: The long, slow, steady decline of a once-great city.

LA has the nation's second largest population.  How far and how hard will the fall be? (That's a rhetorical question). The guy who wrote this article was with the police department there.
I take no joy in reporting this, for I always assumed I would live out my days in the city where I was born and where my roots are deep. My father was born in Los Angeles, which by L.A. standards is akin to tracing one’s roots back to the Mayflower. But some time ago the Divine Mrs. Dunphy and I were faced with a decision: Where would it be best for us to plant our own roots and make the best possible life for our family. Having had the perspective offered by many years with the LAPD, I was armed with as much information on the city as anyone is likely to have. I was like that man on the riverbank watching all that water flow inexorably downstream. For us the choice was clear. We now live in a suburban community outside Los Angeles, close enough to enjoy L.A.’s many charms, but far enough away to avoid its many flaws.


No comments:

Post a Comment