Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gérard Depardieu : "Je rends mon passeport" (Gérard Depardieu : "I give my passport"

I don't have much of a feel for French.  I took his letter (found here) and dumped it into Google Translate.  A good bit makes no sense at all.  The most striking part of the letter was the tax rate he endured: 85% and having paid an enormous amount of 145 million euros in taxes over his career.  I would have left France long ago.
Shabby, you say "pathetic"? As it is pathetic. I was born in 1948, I started working at the age of 14 years as a printer, then as a warehouseman as dramatic artist. I always paid my taxes regardless of the rate under all governments.

At no time, I have failed in my duties. Historical films I participated reflect my love of France and its history.

Most illustrious characters that were expatriates me or left the country.

I unfortunately have nothing more to do here, but I continue to love the French public and with whom I shared so many emotions, I'm leaving because you consider that success, creativity, talent, actually The difference must be punished.

I do not ask to be approved, I could at least be respected.

All those who left France were not insulted as I am.

I do not have to justify the reasons for my choice, which are numerous and intimate.

I leave after paying, in 2012, 85% tax on my income. But I keep in mind that France was beautiful and I hope will remain.

I give you my passport and Social Security, which I've never used. We no longer the same country, I'm a true European, a citizen of the world, as my father has always taught.

I find pathetic the hard justice against my son William judged by judges who condemned any kid to three years in prison for two grams of heroin, when so many others escaped prison for acts otherwise more serious.

I do not blame all those cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes, or too much alcohol or those who sleep on their scooter: I'm one of them as your expensive media like both the repeat.

I never killed anybody, I do not think unworthy, I paid 145 million tax in forty-five years, I have 80 people working in companies that were created for them and which are managed by them.

I am not to complain or to brag, but I refuse the word "pathetic".

Who are you to judge me so I ask you Mr. Ayrault, Prime Minister Mr. Holland, I ask you, who are you? Despite my excesses, my appetite and my love life, I am a free being, sir, and I'll be polite.

Gérard Depardieu

No comments:

Post a Comment