Economic Policy Journal lists 10 things you could do in 1975 you can’t do today because America is much less free:
1. You could buy an airline ticket and fly without ever showing an ID.
2. You could buy cough syrup without showing an ID.
3. You could buy and sell gold coins without showing an ID
4. You could buy a gun without showing an ID
5. You could pull as much cash out of your bank account without the bank filing a report with the government.
6. You could get a job without having to prove you were an American.
7. You could buy cigarettes without showing an ID
8. You could have a phone conversation without the government knowing who you called and who called you.
9. You could open a stock brokerage account without having to explain where the money came from.
10. You could open a Swiss bank account with ease. All Swiss banks were willing and happy to open accounts for Americans.