Saturday, April 26, 2014

Yahoo!: Fixing something that isn't broken



Maybe I just don't like change.  But over the years, Yahoo! has felt the need to jazz up their email and their "My Yahoo" site.  I have grumbled during the changes and then grown used to them.

But, I think they have finally reached the point of diminishing returns. Not only that, the changes they make many times don't even work.  By fixing something that wasn't broken...they broke it.

I use a number of browsers:  Safari, Chrome, IE, even one called Blackhawk (which I really like).  I even use Opera (not half bad!).  But as Yahoo! piles on the tweeks to their email, the worse it gets.  Attaching files, deleting email, even trying to send email works maybe 90 - 95% of the time at the most.  And that's using tightly written browsers like Chrome.

What finally made me decide to just chuck the whole thing was Yahoo!'s decision to discontinue bookmarks on their My Yahoo! site.  That was it for me.  Of all the features in My Yahoo!  this ranks in the top two or three.  Taking that away gives me little reason to stay with Yahoo!  I also pay Yahoo! for enhanced services a yearly fee which is looking sillier and sillier as time goes on.

So, what is Yahoo!'s new idea for your bookmarks?  Download their TOOLBAR!  Yes,  you read that right.  You know those toolbars that take away desktop space on your browser?  Those tool bars that SLOW DOWN your browser?  Those tool bars that hog memory?  Yeah, those tool bars.  Who are they kidding?




Anyway, as much as I hate to admit it, email plays a smaller and smaller role in my life, as I'm sure it is with other people.  I use SMS far more often than sending an email.  Email's primary use is to keep me in touch with businesses, not people.  It is a rarity when I receive an email from a friend.  And nowadays, when you sign up for a service, per their T&C you start to receive tons of emails from their "affiliates".

Who likes that?

No comments:

Post a Comment